Why not run FreeBSD instead of Linux?  That's what OSX is based on,
FreeBSD.  It's every bit as free as Linux, and IMHO it runs faster and
more stable...

It also has a Linux emulation environment, akin to the S/36 environment
on the AS/400.   I run, for example, the Linux version of Netscape, VMWare
and Real Player on my FreeBSD machines without any problems (or
slowdowns!)

Worth a try?   http://www.freebsd.org