On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, jt wrote:

> James,
>
> I've read this thread, and I'm still not seeing how Unix is easier to admin
> than iSeries.

That's okay, I work on both systems and I don't see how iSeries is easier
to admin.

> I wonder if this is a case of you knowing Unix better, and are more
> comfortable with it.  In another post, you mentioned "tcsh, bash, top,
> ncurses, worm (whee!), etc." (that they wouldn't run on a 400).  Ignoring
> the issue of whether these would run, or whether there are 400
> equivalents...  I find these things to be completely counter-intuitive.  And
> unless things have improved a lot, the idea of memorizing command switches
> doesn't fly, with me anyway.

Well there was a big thread about this a while back and I said my piece
then.  I can't remember what the subject was, but it was good!

> I gather there are a lot of wonderful applications on *nix, and I hope to
> learn more about this stuff.  But I'm afraid I'm probably gonna have to wait
> until there is some consistency to naming commands, and CL-like help to the
> command switches, before I do.  I just don't have THAT kind of time on my
> hands...
>
> I obviously know more about a 400, so maybe some flavors of *nix offer
> something similar to the consistency of CL commands and the command
> prompter...  If there are, I'd like to hear about 'em..

I think the prior thread resulted in something like "reasonable people can
disagree on what is easy to use".  My opinion is that the OS/400 commands
aren't really very intuitive.  That doesn't make the system bad or
anything.  I've just discovered that the unix way of doing things (small
programs that do one thing well, pipes, redirection of input/output, funny
command names :), etc.) fits my way of thinking better.  For me unix is a
preferable system because it works better *for me*.  I think it has a lot
to offer you, too.

But my original point was that every system has strengths and weaknesses.
No one should argue to use or keep or buy one system or another without
considering its use.  Many of the businesses I work with have discovered
they get the most done with a combination of machines:  some unix, some
iSeries, some windows (but hopefully not too many).

James Rich
james@eaerich.com