----- Original Message -----
From: <barsa@barsaconsulting.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 6:50 AM
Subject: Re: CD Burning software?

> A few points:
>
> 1).  If Brad's device (which I have contacted him on, and
expressed an
> interest in purchasing) emulates a 7208, it supports LODRUN.
LODRUN was a
> cheap command to write, and was basically written in CL.

You would know a lot better than me. My AS/400 technical expert
would probably be rolling up his eyes at the way I describe this
stuff. I am an extremely technical person myself, but my AS/400
expertise is still pretty limited. I have one in my office, behind
my desk. I mostly write the PC side of the client server stuff for
the AS/400. Realize though we are using the PC as the server, and
the AS/400 as the client. That seemed a very strange idea to
people when we first proposed it in 1990.

> 2).  I could be wrong here, but I don't think that there's an
ownership
> restriction on LODRUN programs (which must be called QINSTAPP
and be saved
> from QTEMP), although there are clearly run time restrictions.
I've
> probably written more QINSTAPP programs than anyone.  I am out
of the
> office, so I am limited as to my ability to look up stuff.

The IBM build a CD file set instructions say that QSYS must be the
owner, while you are making them. I don't know what that means at
install time.

> 3).  When I buy software, I am placing trust in my vendor.
(Maybe I'm
> stupid.)  So I do not consider this a security risk.  Clearly
LODRUN is
> better tan following a run sheet that I could screw up.

If I can use LODRUN,  according to the IBMer Mike? Bofferding , I
can have savlibs/savobjs that span CDs, including objects larger
than a CD. My software is written around writing one CD image, it
should be pretty easy to make it write a series of CDs.

If IBM would put the expand from zip function into their restore
software, we could do another cute thing. Backup to my virtual
device, compress it, write it to your existing tape drive. Put the
tape drive on an A/B switch. Then restore directly to the AS/400,
only a 50 GB tape cartridge could hold up to a terabyte.

Brad Jensen