Paul,

I think it's a case of penny-wise, pound-foolish...  Companies will spend
top dollar for whatever programming talent they can get, that's a fact.
Many times pay thousands in recruiter fees.  Usually pay for PCs, tools,
sometimes education... and then pay NO attention to the work environment.

It appears to be a political issue, as offices are generally reserved as a
perk for management.  (Oddly, to make the perks more egalitarian, some
companies have taken the back-arsewards approach of eliminating almost ALL
offices, to deal with the politics...)

In my experience, you'll get more ROI by improving the work environment, and
you'll see that ROI fairly quickly (I'm guestimating a one-year payback)...
NOT to imply "it's a good thing" to sacrifice education, but that
programmers will only be as effective as whatever the limiting factor is.
AFAIK, the limiting factor of work environment seems to be hit a lot sooner
than the limiting factor of knowledge...  When the difference in
productivity is 10 to 20 TIMES, between the optimal and the
slightly-less-than-optimal...:  Well.. that don't make much sense to me...

IMV, what's incredible is that, while I don't recall when this IBM study was
done, the book that cited it was written in the 70's or 80's...

Companies give lip service to the idea of flat management structures...  The
way you accomplish that, IMHO, is giving your personnel at least a DECENT
SHOT at optimal performance...  I think it's FAR easier, and cost effective,
to give them this shot at reaching their existing potential, than it is to
make them a whole lot smarter.

(IMV, more lip service again:  "work smarter, not harder"...  ...Sheesh.)

jt