See comments in-line.
Chuck

----- Original Message -----
From: "jt" <jt@ee.net>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2001 11:48 AM
Subject: RE: CD Burning software?

> Sorry, Chuck, but I'm still not gettin' it...
>
> Does it adopt authority, or something...?  Anyway, my understanding of the
> LODRUN (which is partial) is that it does a restore and a call,
> essentially...

Correct, and the program that it restores and calls must be owned by QSYS,
so it has some security risk.  However, IMHO, this is not an exposure that
is likely to be exploited.  To be exploited the vendor providing the CD must
have either intentionally coded the program to do something bad to your
system, or made a big mistake in coding that caused damage to your system.
Either way, that vendor will be out of business quickly.

>If you have a device that allows RSTLIB, I'm not sure how
> that's a whole lot MORE secure.  (Maybe some...)
>
> Besides which, who's responsible for security of access to the LODRUN
> command?  Each shop, or Brad's coders...?
>
> IMV, that's a shop responsibility and you can go WAY too far trying to
save
> somebody from themselves.  *May* have cost Brad a sale, in this particular
> case.  So while I may not understand the exposure, I'm not at all sure of
> the wisdom of leaving this functionality out.

I personally agree with you - IMV this is not a potential security exposure
that is worth restricting functionality for.