Rick,

At least for the Windows server running on the Integrated xSeries Server
(aka FSIOP, IPCS, etc.) under V5R1, the contents of the servers will be
saved in either case but by different methodologies.  In the case of a
save with the server(s) varied off, the storage space will be saved as a
single object (faster).  If the server is not varied off, the individual
objects (within the Windows space) are saved (slower).  In either case,
there are some manual steps to take following system recovery from an
option 21 Save; the servers will not just come back up.

Some installations might be running services on their servers which they
do not wish to bring down during a full system save.  It is also
possible that they could be using a Windows-based backup and recovery
system and would be looking to perform their recovery using that.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse