With TCP/IP you are always active but may not be able to reach the remote
location.  Basically when the TCP/IP program start to listen at port 397,
YES it MUST be opened through your firewall, the controllers become active.
Each system will try to connect to the remote system that is listening at
port 397.

First NETSTAT *CNN and look for:

     Remote           Remote     Local
Opt  Address          Port       Port       Idle Time  State
     *                *          APPCove >  406:54:06  Listen
     *                *          APPCove >  263:53:08  *UDP

and if you hit F14:

     Remote           Remote  Local
Opt  Address           Port    Port  Idle Time  State
     *                     *    397  406:54:06  Listen
     *                     *    397  263:53:08  *UDP

That means that your AS400 is configured correctly for *ANYNW.  The
remainder is getting the correct Host name resolution in DNS or Host table.
Ahh!  I mention earlier to add the host tables:HOST.SNA.APPN.IBM.COM.  Did I
mention that it must be all UPPER CASE!  Now on the CFGTCPDMN make sure you
are checking your local host table before going out to your DNS server(s).

Now who ever told you that you do not need additional ports opened in the
firewall is talking out of there BUTT!  You MUST open 397 at BOTH ends.

Christopher K. Bipes      mailto:ChrisB@Cross-Check.com
Operations & Network Mgr  mailto:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com
CrossCheck, Inc.                  http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive     Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928    Fax: 707 586-1884