Dear Steve,

One value add of your IO Corp print server device was that it emulated (i.e.
pretended to be) an IBM IPDS capable system printer attached via TCP/IP. The
new JetDirect interface installed with the HP 1100 doesn't offer this
feature.

To resolve your current difficulty, you could either change the printer
device description on the AS/400 to a remote output queue or *LAN 3812/1
device, using either the HP PJL or IBM SNMP drivers, and then let OS/400
Host Print Transform convert your *AFPDS spool files to PCL for you or you
could replace the JetDirect interface with a different print server that
includes IBM IPDS emulation and leave your device description untouched.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Director, Printer Connectivity Product Management

p: 603.431.0606 x115
f: 603.436.6432
paul@intermate-us.com
www.intermate.com

>From: "Steve Richter" <srichter@AutoCoder.com>
>To: <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
>Subject: ip printer problem
>Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:50:03 -0500
>
>I have configured an *IP attached printer on our as400. When attempting to
>print to it, I get the following error in the PDJ job of the writer:
>
> Message ID . . . . . . :   PQT3625       Severity . . . . . . . :   40
> Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic
> Date sent  . . . . . . :   12/05/01      Time sent  . . . . . . :
>09:27:26
> Message . . . . :   Connection with device ROCHP10 is being retried.
> Cause . . . . . :   A session cannot be established with the device at
>   RMTLOCNAME 172.24.107.103, using PORT 5001.  The error code is 22.  This
>   indicates one of the following conditions:
>     22:      The device did not respond to a connection request.
>
>The printer is an  HP Laser jet 1100.
>
>We are using an HP Jet Direct 170X to ethernet attach the printer to our
>intranet.

<snip>