----- Original Message -----
From: <rob@dekko.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 7:45 AM
Subject: Re: Writing multiple CD volumes for the AS/400?

> Savlib's to save files with DTACPR(*Yes) is significantly
smaller than
> without.
>
> Well, I see a recent post about how reliable CD's are.  However
I seem to
> recall a post not too long ago disputing that fact.

Kodak said, years ago, that their media lifetime was 99+ years on
CDs. The archivists say you have to wait 00 yerars to know, and
put their stuff on microfilm. They are even copying things
published on CD to tape (I am not making this up)

> As far as data on CD's being standard.  Let's see we have
standard CD's,
> mini CD's, DVD,...

actually those are media changes, the DVD can read CDs.

I don't know if the IBM AS/400 Cd reader can handle mini cds - but
I expect it can. Put your source library in your shirt pocket. I
wonder if it can read CD/RW?

you can actually format a CD-R with the right files and watch it
on your TV dvd - surprised me!

> We would be nervous.  For one thing, we like the support of IBM.

Hey, I'll use an IBM PC!

I am planning to have natinal (at least) hardware support by a
recognized third party provider. I usppose if the PC is an IBM,
IBM would support that.

> We keep
> current on OS's and cum's in ways we can't even discuss.
Risking our
> backup while waiting for a fix for a third party while we wait
for the
> finger pointing to die down ain't our bag - been there, done
that -
> replaced many disk drives.

Well, this SCSI software has been online in daily use at a small
number of AS/400 sites for up to five years - I don't think we
have had a hardware failure yet. The only hardare change we ever
had to incoporate was when IBM went to PCI SCSI controllers, we
had to emulate a different tape model. Put that was based on a
customer hardware change of an entire unit.

And the thing about our product is - there are no changes on the
AS/400, no software. If IBM's backup breaks, you'll know it. If
ity doesn't, ours will work. We are running with realease back to
I think 3R1. There is no realese-specific software in our code.

> Having a PC control our backup - no way.

The PC isn't controlling the backup, it is just the intelligence
in the Virtual Tape Server. Your tape drive already has a CPU and
RAM in it, we are going to give you a much more powerful CPU, a
lot more RAM, and a couple of disks (probably mirrored.)

How many sites are making duplicate backups and storing them off
site? It's hard to do with save while active, unless you have two
tape drives and duptap. With this CD - based system you can make
as many copies as you want - and keep them forever if you want.
Have you ever re-used a tape in your backup cycle, and then wished
you hadn't?

And of course, if the virtual tape drive goes down, you just
backup to your old tape drive.

And everything about it is off the shelf technology. You could
build one yourself if you have our software, with parts from Best
Buy in a pinch. The only nonstanrd thing is the SCSI target card,
and we could probably put two in the machine if it is a real
concern. I expect we will find an off the shelf card to use before
too long, ours has one change from a standard card - a jumper.

> Wondering how long a company may be in business.  Wondering how
long it may
> take to get a backup drive in a disaster situation.  Not really
hungry to
> try these.
>
> Rob Berendt

I understand your feelings and where you are coming from.

Brad Jensen