----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@yahoo.com>

> Hi Brad,
>
> Regarding the compression on the AS/400 side, Qshell (command
QSH) provides
> the jar command which produces PKzip/Winzip compatible files,
and can
> decmpress them.

Thanks Peter!

I -think- the problem with the zip on the as/400, is that it would
have to be done during the restore of the library. I don't think I
can pre-process the stream in any way, unless I write my own save
and restore. From what I am hearing, that would have to be done in
MI. I want to use the existing IBM utilities, I don't want to
introduce bugs into a good system.

In other words, I can't restore a library where the data astream
is zipped, OS/400 would not understand it. And I can't create a
SAVF and zip it then save it, it would take too much space and far
too long. I don't really need to zip the outgoing stuff, I'll do
that on the PC side. Unzip takes a lot less resources than zip.

What I am really doing, perhaps, is hoping somebody from IBM will
say, this would be a real neat feature, to read a CD that has 3 to
18 times as much data in one savlib.

And pretty simple for them to do, I would think. I'd be willing to
match the easiest way for them to decompress , which I think would
be by tape block.

> If I had an AS400, the transparent compression would sound good,
as long as
> it produced a CD that (in a pinch) could be read and
decompressed in the
> AS400's CD reader (OPT01 or whatever).
>
> Regards,
> Peter Dow

At this point, I would only create a noncompressed CD for that
exact purpose. My software could include a utility on the PC to
read compressed CDS and make AS/400 'native' CDs from them, if I
can solve the multivolume problem.  Does anyone have ANY
multivolume CDs for the AS/400. Has anyone ever seen one?

And if anyone has written their own backup software (I mean that
writes libraries and objects out with all the authorities, etc,
including complied program objects, etc., please email me
privately.)

Thanks again - good ideas.

Brad Jensen