Thanks to all who provided information yesterday on establishing APPC -
TCPIP communications between 2 400's. We are still having a problem
completing the connection as the controllers and devices on both machines
are, indeed, active but both passthru and SNADS object transfers are
failing. When trying to SNADS, the status of the job goes into a "connect"
condition but then soon fails with a "failure to connect to remote" message,
or something like that. Passthru has a similiar response (I think it is code
'0009'). Here is a quick review which I hope can provide some peek at where
we might have erred:

Our WRKCFGL entries on both systems match accordingly. Remote loc, local
loc, remote CP all correspond with the appropriate values (NOTE: we set # of
conversations to 10. Is that correct?).

Both CONTROLLER descriptions contain "Linktype=*anynw", "Remote
NetID=*netatr", "Remote CP="the values contained in the WRKCFGL parameters"

Both DEVICE descriptions contain "Remote Loc and Local Loc = to correct
corresponding values found the WRKCFGL parameters and CONTROLLER remote CP
parameter."

SNADS. The same SNADS definitions that were working for dial-up are still
present with the "remote loc" values corresponding to all of the previously
mentioned relevant parameters. Queue's and routing have been previously
defined as well.

TELNET. We have no problem using this function to "passthru" from either
direction.

?? Do we need to add a communication entry or remote loc name to QSNADS or
QCMN? We haven't. For dial-up, none appeared to be necessary.

?? Firewall. We have been told that 400 to 400 communication does NOT need
any additional ports "opened" (are they already or auto opened?) for
*anynet. Some have written to say ports 397 and 9216 must be opened. Our
communcation contacts say not true. Word?

GENERAL DEVICE CONFIG. With "standard" APPC communications, you would have a
line containing an exchange ID that would match with the remote controller
exchange ID and vice versa. It doesn't look like the exchange ID is coming
in to play here. Is that correct? The controllers are NOT attached to any
line in this scenario.

SUMMARY. Based on the information above, does anyone have an idea why the
controllers and devices are ACTIVE without passthru and SNADS
co-operating?