1. Multiple-CD
There are lists of CD creating utilities for AS/400. Last I checked (a
while ago) none of the people working seriously with this has managed
multible CD's, so I guess that it is not easy to solve. Have another
check - maybe it's becoming 'common knowledge'. Otherwise - if you are
one of the more brilliant men - you might try to make dumps of
multivolume-tapes.

2. Zip'ping:
In addition to the IBM solution mentioned by Peter Dow, somebody has
ported the GNU program GZIP to AS/400 and compiled the C program for
you. This is of cause also GNU.

3. Our 'National Archive' in Denmark has published a very serious
scientificly based evaluation of different medias (in Danish). The
conclusion was: CD's are far more reliable than tape medias, CD drives
are more likely to stay 'current technology' for a long time. So do use
CD's but preferable CD's that can be put directly into AS/400. And of
cause nothing will last forever and nothing is 100% reliable.

Henrik
http://hkrebs.dk