Jim,

More good points.  (Most of which I've snipped.)

<huge snip>

I saw someplace where IBM had a new Query product that looked pretty slick.
Unfortunately don't recall where, or a link.  Only reason I'm leery is that
it seems IBM would just as soon come out with a new Query product, as
improve an old one...

| In the past 15 years I've probably seen twenty or so projects
| from hell that
| started as simple spreadsheet downloads.  I guess I'm saying that I agree
| with your ideas as long as the Excel integration is scoped properly.  It's
| not just a download or database link.

Ya...  I've seen similar nightmares as you describe.  Couple other things
I've seen:

The original spreadsheet author moves up the ranks.  Then they find out
their app is very difficult for their data entry people to use.  They either
end up with a training nightmare, spend time they don't have, running the
daggone spreadsheets themselves, and/or toss the project back in my lap...

Plus, I've seen several cases, over the years, where all the spreadsheets
went out-the-door when a new spreadsheet-wiz took the place of the old.  It
happened in EACH of the several cases where I've seen turnover in that
position.  I'm guessing this is quite common... I just didn't happen to see
much turnover, where I worked.

| -Jim
|
| James P. Damato
| Manager - Technical Administration