We use SPLTOOL for creating PDF files, then we FTP them to a Novell server
to a certain directory(s) where we can individually control the rights to
who can see the files. We are just putting this into production now.

-----Original Message-----
From: Burns, Bryan [mailto:burnsbm@Echoincorporated.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 2:22 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: GUMBO questions

We are taking a look at GUMBO spool -a matic software due to the strong
endorsement from some users on this list.

I have the following questions:

Can files be put somewhere other than the IFS?  My boss would prefer files
be sent to our Novell server as he does not want users to start playing
around with OPS NAVIGATOR.

I believe that V5R1 has many new print functions that GUMBO has also.
Should we spend money on GUMBO if we can get V5R1 for free?  What does
spool-a-matic have that V5R1 doesn't have?

What kind of administrative burden is the GUMBO report manager?  I presently
print and distribute over 100 different month end reports to 30 different
users.  I have a four page spread sheet of who gets what.  The same report
may go to between one and eight users.  The total pages for all reports is
about 3,500.  Most of  the users want hard copies but if they could see them
in a .PDF they might change their minds.  Sounds like a good case for report
manager, but our director is concerned about what it would take to have the
report manger process all the month end files.  What kind of set up work
would be involved?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

        Bryan Burns
        AS/400 System Operator