Brad,

I stand corrected. We may be interested in PDFMAILER. Could you send me
(privately I guess) any details you have, price etc. Do you have a demo
version?

Thanks

Adam Driver
Technical Consultant
Kaz Computer Services
Level 7, 66 Wentworth Ave
Surry Hills, Sydney    NSW   2010
Phone : + 61 2 9844 0386
www.kaz.com.au

                    Brad Jensen
                    <brad@elstore.com>        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: List of iSeries
supported printers
                    drange.com

                    29/11/01 10:45 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

MARYLOU ATWELL wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Mostly every one in the School District has a printer thru Emulation.
> (The don't like to go "running" for the output.)

(I'm about to mention a product as a possible solution to the
'support my printer'problem,
if you don't like such mentions please skip to next message,
thanks.)

Another alternative is to use something we are just putting on
the market, PDFMAILER.

PDFMAILER is a LPD (Line Printer Daemon) that runs on a PC
TCP/IP attached to the AS/400. Set up a PDFMAILER PC printq for
each destination (such as a user who now prints thru emulation).
Each printq can have a default email address, subject line, and
message.  Then set that printq as the output writer for that
person's outq. Then everything that goes to that ouqw, is
printed to PDFMAILER, converted to a PDF file, and emailed to
that destination.

Now your users get their print files as PDF files - which means
they can save them and not lose them, they can print it on any
lan or pc attached printer (and it will print correctly on all
sorts of different printers). You'll save time, paper, toner,
and headaches.

You can also print directly to it using the LPR command on the
AS/40-0, and set a from/to/subject to send a print file to a
specific destination. No software ont he AS/400, just the LPR
command.

You can set PDFMAILER to only accept print from a certain IP for
a certain printq.

You can also set up new printqs on the PC, from the AS/400 side
by printing a dummy file to the printq *CONFIG (with a password
of course) setting the new printw name and parameters.

It supports SCS and AFP print files, but not IPDS.

Runs on any old PC you can find - we run ours on a print server
used for networking printing.

Brad Jensen

LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining for the AS/400
www.Laservault.com

www.eufrates.com - Add distance learning to
your site with easy course preparation