hmmm....looks like the midrange-l email server is causing the text of my
original e-mail to come out incorrectly.

I notice in your quote of my post that the actual paragraph symbol I had in
my post is a "B6" in your quoted reply, instead of the symbol itself. And
that's strange because when I got my original email back via midrange-l
after I posted it, it contained the paragraph symbol as I'd sent it.

Strange...

However, you can see what this all looks like yourself if you'd like.  Go
into MS word, type a line of text, click on Insert from the Word menu,
select Symbol and then select the Paragraph symbol.

Now save that document as an HTML page.

On your AS/400 create a dummy file with a length of 1024 (or whatever...).
Now use FTP to ftp the HTML file you created to that dummy file on the '400.
Now display the file using DSPPFM and you'll see that the paragraph symbol
was maintained. Further, if you use the DSPPFM and select the view by hex,
over/under, that the para symbol's hex value is x'B56'.

For whatever reason...when I create a D spec to contain that hex value and
use that as the search argument of my scan...I don't get a hit.

Signed:
Corn-fuzed in Illinois.