From: ClubTechiSeries Sys Mgmt <ClubTechiSeries_SysMgmt@lists.pentontech.com>
To: shorea@dime.com
Subject: Club Tech Systems Management -- November 28, 2001
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:44:24 -0500 (EST)

********** Club Tech iSeries Systems Management Newsletter *********
An iSeries Network Publication         http://www.iSeriesNetwork.com
Home of iSeries NEWS Magazine
Issue 40                                           November 28, 2001

Sponsored by Help/Systems
ROBOT SAYS, "BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!"
Help/Systems, the world's leader in iSeries automated operations,
invites you to our 11th annual Operations Automation User
Conference in San Diego. Join us for 2 1/2 days of learning and
fun February 18-21, 2002. For more information, visit
http://www.helpsystems.com/ad_in.cgi?ad_id=51 .

THIS WEEK:
> Determining Library Size
> Free Web Log Analysis Utility
> Limiting a User to One Workstation at a Time
> Classic Tips
> Converting Spool Files to Adobe Acrobat (PDF) -- Part 5

Featured Tip:

DETERMINING LIBRARY SIZE
Q. How do I determine the size of a library?

A. There are several ways of obtaining library size, some of which
I've covered in previous issues. Here they are, along with some new
methods:

a. One of the fastest ways to determine the size of a library is with
the DSPLIB (Display Library) command:

DSPLIB LIB(YOURLIB) OUTPUT(*PRINT)

Specifying the OUTPUT(*PRINT) option is important because otherwise
you get only the size of each object in the library. *PRINT not only
gives you the size of each object, but at the end of the report it
also shows the total library size, which is the sum of all the object
sizes plus the size of the library (*LIB) object itself.

You can also specify *ALLUSR or *ALL in place of the DSPLIB command's
*LIB parameter to get the sizes of all non-IBM libraries or all system
libraries. Be sure to run the job in batch if you use *ALLUSR or *ALL
because executing DSPLIB with these values is too resource-intensive
to be done interactively.

b. On the command line, enter the following command:

GO DISKTASKS

Choose the option to Collect Disk Space Information and submit that
job. When collection is complete, choose Print Disk Space Information
from the DISKTASKS menu and choose to print only summary information.

c. The October 18, 2000, issue of this newsletter included an item
that shows how to use the RtvDskInf (Retrieve Disk Information) and
PrtDskInf (Print Disk Information) commands to obtain library and
object sizes. You can read that item at
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10908&channel=art
 .

d. IBM published CL program RTVLAPI that returns the library size and
number of objects and also shows how to use the QLIRLIBD API within a
CL program. You call RTVLAPI with the command line

CALL RTVLAPI lib-name

where lib-name is the name of the library. The following shows sample
messages returned by RTVLAPI:

  Info for library CHUCK
  # of objects in library 0000000000
  Library size 0000000089
  Library size multiplier 0000000000
  Size of all objects used in library size.

You can download the CL program from
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/code/clubtechcode/rtvlapi.zip or copy
the program from
http://as400service.ibm.com/8625680A007CA5C6/0/C0CE14CE4349FAFF862567FB0071DF80?Open&Highlight=2,QLIRLIBD
 .

e. A free library size utility is available from Tom Liotta at
http://home.earthlink.net/~tliotta/Files/Show_Library_Size/Show_Library_Size_README.htm
 .

The above tips were adapted from iSeries NEWS Tech Corner items by
Jean-Jacques Risch and Julian Monypenny and from the IBM
Knowledgebase.

************************* ADVERTISEMENT *************************:
LAST CHANCE TO SAVE UP TO 30 PERCENT ON NEW RPG IV BOOK!
Time's almost up to save up to 30 percent on "RPG IV Jump Start,
Fourth Edition," now updated for V5. This sale lasts only through
November 30, so hurry to order the newest version of this popular book
from 29th Street Press! iSeries Network Professional Members save
$16.50 and pay only $38.50 -- that's a 30 percent saving! Non-members
save too with a 15 percent discount -- $8.25 -- and pay only $46.75!
Get your copy today -- call 800/650-1804 or 970/663-4700 or click on
http://lists.pentontech.com/cgi-bin3/flo?y=eJIK0CO5B30Bgu0Lfi0As .

Short Takes:

1. FREE WEB LOG ANALYSIS UTILITY
Q. Does anyone know if there is a utility that can translate the ugly
error logs that get produced by the IBM HTTP Server (Classic)?

A. Analog is a free utility that analyzes log files from a variety of
Web servers and produces attractive statistics, bar graphs, and pie
charts. It runs on a variety of operating systems, including OS/400.
You can download the two iSeries save files containing Analog from
http://homepage1.nifty.com/uzaemon/#download .

To learn more about Analog, visit the Analog Web site at
http://www.analog.cx/ . You can also see sample Analog-generated
reports at http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/stats/statsme.html .

2. LIMITING A USER TO ONE WORKSTATION AT A TIME
Q: How can I limit a user to one workstation at a time?

A: The system value QLMTDEVSSN (limit device sessions) determines
whether a user profile can be signed on to more than one workstation
simultaneously. A value of 0 allows a user profile to work at more
than one workstation simultaneously. A value of 1 restricts the user
profile to a single workstation device. QLMTDEVSSN cannot prevent
users from sharing a single workstation with the user profile
currently signed on.

Sharing user profiles decreases the effectiveness of auditing users'
activities. However, there are some situations in which sharing user
profiles might be necessary, such as a retail operation in which
clerks share sales-counter workstations. Signing on and off such
terminals would be inconvenient and would cause the customer to wait.
QLMTDEVSSN controls concurrent device sessions systemwide. However,
you can override the QLMTDEVSSN system value at the user profile level
with the user profile parameter LMTDEVSSN.

Adapted from an iSeries NEWS article by Wayne Madden and Carol
Woodbury.

3. CLASSIC TIPS
Over the eighteen months I've produced this newsletter, I've noticed
the same questions keep cropping up in the newsgroups and forums, even
though they've been answered in the newsletter. (What, doesn't
EVERYBODY read this newsletter? Hmph! :) ) I thought I'd run a list of
the commonly asked questions for those of you who haven't been
subscribers the whole time or who may have missed an issue or two:

14 Tips on Freeing Up Hard Disk Space
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10158&channel=art

CFINT Explained
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10921&channel=art

Copying 5250 Screens into Microsoft Word (Four parts)
Part 1:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10185&channel=art
Part 2:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10182&channel=art
Part 3:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10162&channel=art
Part 4:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10160&channel=art

Converting Spool Files to Adobe Acrobat (PDF) (Four parts)
Part 1:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10150&channel=art
Part 2:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10151&channel=art
Part 3:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10425&channel=art
Part 4:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10507&channel=art

Deleting a Stream File with an Invalid File Name (Two parts)
Part 1:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10677&channel=art
Part 2:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10899&channel=art

Deleting Old Spool Files         November 1, 2000 (Two parts)
Part 1:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10833&channel=art
Part 2:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=11680&channel=art

Resetting the QSECOFR Password
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10903&channel=art

Retrieving Deleted Records
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10862&channel=art

Retrieving the IP Address from a Telnet Session
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10858&channel=art

Synchronize Clocks on the AS/400 and Networked Computers
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewarticle&CO_ContentID=10805&channel=art

4. CONVERTING SPOOL FILES TO ADOBE ACROBAT (PDF) -- PART 5
In addition to the methods listed in four previous issues (see
"Classic Tips" above), Linoma Software has now added the ability to
export spooled files to Adobe PDF or text files in its Surveyor/400
product. Surveyor/400 is free for single user licenses and is tier-
priced for unlimited user access. For more information, visit Linoma's
site at http://www.linomasoftware.com .

**************** ABOUT ISERIES NETWORK NEWSLETTERS **************:

Club Tech iSeries Systems Management Newsletter and Club Tech
Networking Tips Newsletter are published on alternate Wednesdays. Club
Tech iSeries DB2 UDB & SQL/400 Newsletter and Club Tech iSeries
Programming Tips Newsletter are published on alternate Thursdays.
NEWS Wire Daily brings you daily iSeries industry news, tech tips,
product news, and IBM announcements. Tech Observatory Newsletter is
published every other Tuesday and pinpoints Internet resources for
iSeries 400 professionals. ChannelWire and Hot Blasts, published on
alternate Fridays, contain the latest news for IBM software developers
and resellers. All are *FREE OF CHARGE*!

IF YOU HAVE a technical question, please submit it to
clubtech@iseriesnetwork.com or post it in the appropriate
iseriesnetwork.com forum at http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/isnforums/ .
If you have a response to a tip in this newsletter, please e-mail
clubtech@iseriesnetwork.com . This newsletter is edited by Chuck
Lundgren.

FOR NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS, you can subscribe by joining the iSeries
Network with a handy Web form at http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/join/
or by sending an e-mail to
mailto:ClubTechiSeries_SysMgmt_Sub@lists.pentontech.com  .

TO UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE E-MAIL ADDRESSES, go to
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/info/profile/profilelogin.cfm . If you
don't have Web access, you can also unsubscribe to this newsletter
(without unsubscribing to NEWS Wire Daily or Club Tech) by replying to
this message with UNSUBSCRIBE in the Subject line or by sending an e-
mail to mailto:ClubTechiSeries_SysMgmt_Unsub@lists.pentontech.com  .

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS subscribing or unsubscribing, please contact
customer service at mailto:MgmtTips@iseriesnetwork.com .

You are subscribed as: shorea@dime.com

IF YOU WANT TO SPONSOR a Club Tech iSeries Systems Management
Newsletter, please contact your iSeries Network sales manager. Click
here for details:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/info/mediakit/Sales/Index.htm .

iSeries is a trademark of International Business Machines (IBM)
Corporation and is used by Penton Media, Inc., under license.
iSeries NEWS, iSeriesNetwork.com, and the iSeriesNetwork.com
newsletters are published independently of IBM, which is not
responsible in any way for the content. Penton Media, Inc., is
solely responsible for the editorial content and control of iSeries
NEWS, iSeriesNetwork.com, and the iSeriesNetwork.com newsletters.
Copyright 2001, Penton Technology Media
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com