From: Joel Fritz [mailto:JFritz@sharperimage.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 11:24 AM
To: 'midrange-l@midrange.com'
Subject: RE: Windows XP

InfoWorld has had some interesting stuff in the past month or so on XP.
Brian Livingston, their Windows columnist who's made his living partly on
Windows aftermarket books for over ten years, says 1--Don't buy it, and
2--He's not going to do a book on it.  Their lab tests (lies, damned lies,
and benchmarks) show about a 20% performance loss over W2k on single
processor machines.  OTOH, the options on a new (intel) pc are XP and Linux
(ok, BSD and maybe an Atari or Amiga emulator).  If you -*really*- need Word
or Excel or some other Windows app, there isn't much choice.