http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/doc/ups-faq.html
FAQ about UPS & traditional alternatives

PC Power Protection by Mark Waller ISBN 0-672-22637-5 HOWARD SAMS PUBLISHING
Consumer Reports 1994 November compared 23 brand/models of Surge Protectors -
at least 8 failed - Consumer Reports limited their testing to devices that
carried the UL 1449 label
PC Magazine 1993 April compared 32 brand/models of Surge Protectors - 6 failed

These UPS come rated to supply a certain amount of juice & then you want to
hook up additional stuff to it, such as the computer room console, but you
may need a flash light to see the keyboard, which is difficult to use by the
light from the monitor.

One place I worked had both a UPS & a generator because we needed 24 hour up
time, but the generator was expensive to run when not needed.  The deal was
that if the electric went out in the middle of the day it was easy to get to
the generator & start it up before the UPS ran out of battery, because lots
of people around who knew about this stuff & light from those windows, but if
the electric went out at night, the folks on duty using flash lights to
navigate & invariably they never got the generator started up before the UPS
ran out of battery.

You can have UPS wired in parallel with your regular display stations etc.
This is called LAP (Local Area Power) but probably more cost effective to
have LOCAL UPS in individual clusters of offices, but managing them all to
make sure batteries Ok?

We have storms come through & the electric company sometimes takes days to
get the power back.  We shut down the factory, send everyone home, tell them
to phone in some place where we have a recorded message (not where the power
outage is, because the phones sometimes get flaky when no power for days)
that changes when we know when the power will come back, then management
calls the electric company every hour on the hour for however many weeks it
takes for the electric company to give us an ETA that the power will be
returned & we also have someone sitting in the parking lot with a cellular
phone in rotation so that if the power is returned without the electric
company letting us know it was going to happen we can start the crew coming
back in.

Due to stuff I purchased for Y2K, I have at home several flashlights plugged
into wall plugs ... they get recharged & when the power goes out the flash
light lights up so we can find them ... I ought to take one of them into the
computer room at work.

>  From:    echabot@marlinfirearms.com (Ed Chabot)
>
>  We are considering some kind of backup power solution, like a generator, to
>  keep our AS/400 up in the event of a power outage in our area.  Does
anybody
>  have any insight, recommendations, experiences, etc?  Any info is
>  appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>  Ed Chabot
>  The Marlin Firearms Company
>  100 Kenna Drive