We are combining two 400's.  Let's call one GDIHQ and one GDIMAIL.  GDIHQ
runs erp, benefits, etc.  GDIMAIL runs Adstar or TSM, and Domino.  In case
you didn't know, TSM resides in library space and Domino resides in IFS
space.
Both machines are using a 3590 to do their save.

        GDIHQ   GDIMAIL  COMBINED
SAVSYS   0:14                0:14
NONSYS   3:15     15:00     18:15
DLO      0:03      0:01      0:04
IFS      0:16      3:11      3:27
Total    3:48     18:12     22:00

Dasd  203.7GB   381.2GB
       @77.7%    @66.9%
Prc      9406      9406
          730       830
         2C6E      23D1

We will be upgrading the 730 to make our new box.  I am not sure what we'll
end up with.  Supposed to be the biggest dude in the state.

(Just goes to show you, even with all the divisions we have, it takes 5
times as much to back up the PC data.)

Basically the downtime of our primary 400 will increase from 3:48 to 22
hours to do a complete save.  Not counting any benefits the new upgrade
will give us.

When we combine these machines, we will retain the following list of tape
drives:
Two 3590's
One 3580-001 LTO
One 8mm 7208-12
One 9348 reel-to-reel
One 4gb 1/4" cartridge

I know you can do the trick when you do a save and put in two alike tape
drives and when one runs out of tapes it jumps to the other.  But that
really doesn't save simultaneously.

What I am hoping for is a way to use both 3590's simultaneously, in
restricted state, to do our saves.  Is there a way to do this?  We are
running V5R1.  We have BRMS but haven't gotten around to using it.

If BRMS is the magic pill then how do we go about implementing that?  RTFM
is acceptable, if you believe that, and point to good links.  I've heard
that BRMS, under V5R1, is a cinch to get working.  Much different than
previous releases.

Rob Berendt

Benjamin Franklin