From: Chris Rehm [mailto:javadisciple@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 2:09 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: fix.your.open.relay.or.die.net

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 10:44 am, Walden H. Leverich wrote:

But in fairness, the issue of an open relay is a little different. That is
like giving a public user account away without CPU limits. When the public
user shows up and starts burning CPU, the system will pay the price.

I agree that attaching the iSeries to the internet has a degree of risk. So,
I'd say that each situation should be judged on its own risk/return basis,
right? I'm pretty sure Rochester would agree that you should buy an extra
machine to be your gateway box, and they can help you configure that puppy.
But some people might not have the cash for that but do have a need for
internet access that outweighs the risk.

Your caution is prudent, but I'm hoping (and pretty sure) its not overboard.

> But it is an AS/400 problem TOO. This problem (no, not unique to the
AS/400)
> resulted in a denial of service of ALL the apps on his AS/400. In
> IBM's view[1] of the world one would have everything centralized on
> one box, an AS/400. If that was the case here, this simple tar-pit
> could have resulted in the loss (or severe degradation) of the
> following services until it was
> resolved:
>
> 1) E-Mail
> 2) Database
> 3) Application Server
> 4) Web Server
> 5) DNS Server
> 6) File Serving
> 7) Green-Screen Interactive
> 8) ...
>
> My point is, server consolidation, and exposure of "production" boxes
> of
any

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart... ...Thou shalt
love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than