Walden, you asked to see a program that can be used to access a file.  This
does that.  The fact that it takes a shortcut for the message format isn't
relevant.  You seem to be missing the forest for the trees.

The example uses the physical layout of the file for the message base.  This
is simply a convenience.  Were the database layout to change, the message
layout could stay the same.  Of course, now I'd need a data structure
separate from the file, and I'd have to do moves, but I'm sure you
understand how easy that would be to implement.  Don't you?  It's really not
that difficult a concept.

There is business logic.  Please look again at the EDTDTA routine.  The
fields are edited for validity: for example, the customer name can't be
blank, you can't add duplicate records, and so on.  Yes, this is a simple
example.  It's for a rather trivial master file maintenance server.  But
still, anything more complex would simply involve expanding the EDTDA
subroutine.  Surely you see that, right?  Of course an order processing
server would get more complex.  But then again, an order entry program is
more complex than a customer maintenance program, no?

So, other than the fact that I have - for convenience - used the layout of
the physical file as my message layout, do you see how a CRUD server would
work?  I don't think I can ake example can be any clearer.

Joe