Affordability is the 1st rule.  If my firm/employer cannot afford it,
whatever your claimed Value is, it is nothing to those in that position.

The number of conference days went down from 5 to 4, later the costs went up,
and now common is going to what again in this balancing act?

An effectiveness yardstick to the common changes is attendance tracking to
the changes you have made.