jt:

On Sat, 17 November 2001, "jt" wrote:

> Is there disadvantages to centralizing CA updates on the 400?  (Other than
> cost of DASD.)

Uh... I suppose. The obvious advantage is that it's "centralized" -- single
point and style of management, standard centralization advantages. Very handy
when the AS/400 is your only server. I'm just not sure how many people care
anymore; NT servers are pretty common in the same network and necessary skills
aren't hard to come by. And the argument can easily be made that because it is
client code, it should be 'centralized' along with other PC clients and
applications -- on a PC server.

Besides simple space, I've personally never been happy to share my I/O adapter
for code updates, especially dozens or hundreds of 20-60MB downloads; it's
enough of a bottleneck at times without adding more.

I'd be glad to hear others' experiences with how best to handle it. Once I've
figured out which LPPs can be removed, I've had no problems.

In any case, after thinking about it (you know, in that split-second between
hitting <Send> and seeing the confirmation), I'm not sure how many CA client
PTFs are ever included in cume packages any more. Might not even have been a
good example.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta