Reeve,

Did you and I work at the same company, in the past...  LOL...!

This really describes my experience, as well.

Only difference is that where I got the bulk of my experience, we had an
EXTREMELY flat management.  We reserved the white boards for the really long
projects.  Otherwise, a few department heads would get together and map out
the scope of the projects.  I now think it unusual, but our users were both
spoiled and impatient...  A long project was anything that took over a
week...

Since the companies moved to *nix, and lost all the experienced, quality 400
people, a few have admitted they've found out how spoiled they were...  I
came to appreciate that better myself, after I left the place.  Lists like
these really could've helped me, back then, to see what REALLY goes on out
there, in TRW.  Was /way too/ focused on day-to-day problems, back then, and
wore too many hats to allocate sufficient time to investigate other shops...

:-)

jt