> Not if your client relies on knowledge of the table and column names of
your
> database!  That's the point of the entire discussion.  If the client is
> dependent upon field names, it is tied to your database, and more
> importantly, your database is tied to your client.

Does a logical file on the server, with explicitly declared flds, used as
the target file name of the client's odbc calls,  solve the column name
dependency concerns?

Dont know much about ODBC, but if the odbc connection info ( actual target
system, library and file name ) can be stored external to the client pgm,
would that satisfy the "client code is dependent on the target file name and
location" objection?

Steve Richter