I'm a vendor of archive systems for the AS/400. Ours is PC based,
but from the very start
we out green screen access into our product (we did it at first
with screen scraping you would not believe!)
That was 12 years ago.

Now we do everything TCP/IP. As a part of our system, we created
programmable FTP and LPD servers on the PC.

We've started to branch out with new products designed around
these capabilities - like a report bursting and distribution
system. Next, a PDFMailer to email reports.

Now I am thinking of other things to do with this - like may
WEBOUTQ, to print OUTQ entries to a web server, saving all the
JOB, FILE, USER, USERDATA, DATE, PAGES, and TIME info, while
converting the files to PDF so they can be viewed over the web
without downloading the whole thing at once. Do you guys think
this would be a useful thing, priced at about 3k? The idea is that
you save your reports to it, and then you can go back and search
by date, job, etc. With disk space so cheap on a PC, you could
probably keep years with of reports for most iSeries systems.

I'm also wondering about print to XLS, print to MDB, print to
HTML, print to XML, etc. (we have a data extractor program that we
can run in batch.)  We like to do things so that they are hands
free on the PC - using CL to control the process for the AS/400
side.

What about an XML interface to green screen aps?

I really wish I could....

?