jt,

The really nice thing about OSS is that it offers everyone the opportunity to
walk their talk.

OSS is not just a discussion on theory or "best practice" it is a space where
we, as a community, can experiment and compare notes and have a friendly,
respectful, debate (hopefully a lively one so noone falls asleep) as to the pros
and cons of a particular solution to a particular problem.

Now there is an inherent problem with not just OSS, but any solution.  There
truly is more than one way to skin a cat.  Just as Linux desktop has forked into
Gnome and KDE they reflect a preference to "taste" or "style" that is not right
or wrong.  They both work, and work well.

IMHO, debating "taste" or "style" is like debating the definition of "what is
art".  To truly be a supporter of OSS one must be willing to abandon ego.  To
place software into the OSS community is nothing more than planting a seed.
What happens after that is beyond your control or opinion.

Personally, I believe that most of the professionals in the iSeries community
have been around for a long time.  As such we have developed a habit of self
protection.  This list allows me to exchange ideas and problems/solutions with
someone across the country or the planet which I do not perceive as a threat to
my revenue producing opportunities on my home turf.

This protection of "home turf" (at any size) may be the inherent reluctance of
true collaboration.  This is why I am not a member of iNation.  My personal
opinion is that iNation is nothing more that a placebo to the converted to give
the choir a warm and fuzzy feeling that they actually have importance.  ROFLMAO!

If one truly wants to make a difference to the iSeries future one need only do
one thing.  Have courage. What is courage? The ability to let go of the
familiar.

What is familiar? Everything you know.