This is a succinct summary of my as-yet unwritten part 3 of yesterdays
posts:

Close... but no cigar...:

WSJ - one-time 1 page ad = $162K
WSJ - one-time 1/4 page ad = $40K

OK, forget the heartland and just hit the regional issues...:

WSJ, East - one-time 1 page ad = $61K
WSJ, West - one-time 1 page ad = $40K

WSJ, West - one-time 1/4 page ad = $10K
WSJ, East - one-time 1/4 page ad = $15K

Where are ya gonna get that kind of scratch...?  If you got it, how much is
one ad gonna impact...?  We covered these points in the first 2 weeks of the
AAG.

Gannett, last I heard, was a large 400 shop.  While not the best target
audience, they may cut a discount to the iNation.  Couldn't find the rates
quick enough.  When I check year ago August, (IIRC, and I probably
don't...;-) will probably be more than WSJ, because you're reaching 10M vs.
2M folks.  Is Gannett an iCitizen...?

One possibility, out of many:  david collected about $2 per head in recent
list-a-thon.  Double membership of iNation to 60,000 and either a) plead for
money or b) place a head tax.  Hope for approx $120,000.  (That $120K, BTW,
could do a lot of good in the Community, besides an ad.)

But let's say you wanna blow the whole wad on some ads.  You announce your
intentions, and hope the BPs, VARs, and ISVs jump on the bandwagon.  Now it
becomes a real possibility.

< I forgot I had this in my drafts...  Sheesh...  To pick up on this
theory...: >

I couldn't find pricing in USA Today.  But I think the best marketing would
be to have iCitizens try to produce these ads with the bare minimum of
production costs.  The best approach, IMV, depends if you can get enough
money to get a long-term contract (and you'll also get a discount).

IMV, the best approach is a quarter-page ad, once a week, ON THE SAME DAY OF
THE WEEK, IN THE SAME LOCATION OF THE PAPER, WITH A DIFFERENT AD EACH WEEK.

People ignore ads they see twice.  It's become part of human instinct.
Human instinct is to protect itself against an onslaught of meaningless info
(and ads, these days, are about as meaningless as they come.. as has been
noted in recent posts).  People will protect themselves, against constantly
being bludgeoned with ads.  So the ad industry devises new ways to bludgeon
customers...

So if you make up a different ad, with a common theme, you will keep
people's attention and get the theme across better.  John Carr has already
posted (maybe 6 months ago) an excellent theme:  on all the different kinds
of businesses that run iSeries.  I think he mentioned Deere, Cat, Harley...
Interesting mix of companies.  Easy to come up with catchy pictures and
simple catch phrases.  John's already posted this.

And the thing is:  if each ad has an * and a footnote at bottom "Produced by
iNation Citizens, paid for (in part?) by iNation Citizens, for the benefit
of all businesses" YOU HAVE CREATED A NEWS STORY.  If organized properly,
you will eventually have reporters calling for news on this ***bizarre
happening***.

===> Customer's MAKING and PAYING FOR ads...!  That's sort-of like the
ultimate "man bites dog" story...

But you'd want to be subtle, and that requires multiple ads.  Try to sell
the story --> probably won't work...  Let the reporters come to you -->
story sells itself...  The key to this kind of PR is giving reporters A-1
access to story leads.  Once that happens, the ad budget can be reduced.
But you have to be prepared to be in it, for as long as it takes.  You can't
count on things to just fall into place, the way the Taliban just fell on
the *sses...  Doesn't always happen that way...

Could it be done...?  Just takes money, passion, and focus...  Would it
work?  I'm SURE not gonna claim "can't miss" because everyone's heard that
one...  Heard it for a whole host of things that never quite delivered on
their promise.  But I can categorically state:  there's only one way to find
out.  Do at least one ad, post a website, and watch for results.  React to
the results...

JMNSHO.

jt