Before I get further into this let me say that although I am generally a
GNU/Linux advocate, I have no intention of suggesting the use of linux
soley because I hope someone will use it.  It is far more important to use
the right tool for the job.  With that in mind you can read my responses
below (or you can just delete this message altogether:) ).

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, jt wrote:

> You wrote "You may already have a spare box laying around which means you
> could implement this for $0."  This, IMHO, is a common misconception.  It's
> only true if you count your time at $0 cost.  Most shops don't have that
> luxury.

I assumed (yes, I know the danger of that) that people understood that I
meant $0 *purchase* cost.  Naturally people's time is not free.

> Most people have found the consistent interface of OS/400 allows them to
> save time, ie $.  Now if you have time to learn everything about OS/400 and
> BSD and Linux, you're pretty lucky and yours is probably the better choice.
> I'm still learning about OS/400 though...

*Some* people have found that the consistent interface of OS/400 allows
them to save time.  For more on how reasonable people can disagree on this
see the thread about a mounth ago about the command line of os/400.

But that has nothing to do with whether or not a different machine should
be used to do ssh services.  Every unix platform already has ssh (version
1 and 2) available for it - possibly at no charge.  OS/400 does not, with
the possible exception of using the AIX version of ssh in the PASE
environment.  If you are concerned with saving time then porting ssh to
OS/400 is not an option.  I believe that trying to set up an unusual java
version or trying to obtain ssh-like functionality through some other
vendor will also take more time than a linux installation.  The bank the
original poster was referring to supports ssh.  Why try to make things
harder by forcing something non-ssh to work with ssh?  The bank also used
some kind of VPN.  In my experience settings up VPNs is somewhat to much
more difficult than establishing an ssh connection.  Using ssh is trivial
- anyone who type in CRTPGM PGM(PROGRAM) BNDDIR(BINDDIR/BINDME) can also
type scp myfile user@remote:theirfile.

I don't know all of OS/400 or linux, but both have strengths.  Take
advantage of each strength to make an easy to use system.  It may be
unwise to try to learn everything about one computer before attempting to
learn something about another.  Adding a linux computer (or any BSD or
unix) to your network will add to your company's abilities and your
personal skill set.  You may become a more valuable employee if you know a
little unix.  You might even like it.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com