Folks:

I wanted to let you know about a few small changes that have happened in
recently.

First, however, I wanted to say great big THANKS to everyone who
contributed after the "List-A-Thon" that was held :)  A bit more than $1800
was contributed.  Please be assured, that ever penny of the contribution
will go to enhanced, maintain, and fund the mailing list and it's
associated services.  A special thanks goes to Philipp Rusch who has
promised a pair of 20gb IBM hard drives.  They have yet to arrive though
... they are taking the slow boat from Germany.

Ok, on to the changes ...

1. A minor thing, but I thought it would be useful.  Every now and then
someone would ask why a recent message they posted did not show up in the
search index.  This is usually caused by the indexer not running (or
running & failing).  Now you can see when the archive was last updated and
when the search index was last built.  Generally the index is built every
night.  Sometimes, however, the indexer will fail for some reason (usually
out of temporary space ... it creates massive files).

2. Since the archive system, and the list system are now in the same
location (my basement), the archives are actually updated every hour.

3. I'm looking for a volunteer to serve as survey coordinator
(Quiz-master?).  The survey system has languished of late, and I think it's
too good a thing to let slip.   If someone is interested in keeping the
survey system going, please contact me PRIVATELY.  This would involve
soliciting survey ideas, keeping track of them, setting up new surveys on a
regular basis, etc.

That's it for now.

david