On Saturday 10 November 2001 05:05 pm, jt wrote:

> I'm sort of losing the drift of the end of this post.  I don't completely
> understand your POS software, Chris, and I think Nathan's asking why your
> POS software would become more expensive, if the governor was software
> instead of hardware.  I'm not sure I understand that one, Chris.  But I'm
> not sure that's what's being said, either.

No, Nathan's feeling is that IBM should license 5250 terminal attachments
to the iSeries instead of using a CFINT governor at all. This would allow
for a clearly defined way of maintaining a revenue stream for the "old
school" side of iSeries and allow people who want to do n-tier development
to simply license fewer 5250s and attach using other methods.

This way, there would be no CFINT governor to complain about.

While I agree that this would be a more elegant solution, I just happened
to know it would have an impact on some uses of the 5250 workstations that
currently don't absorb much of the CPW workload but would need to carry
their part of the cost burden.

One big advantage to his proposal is the fact that this would tend to quiet
down the complaints about whether or not IBM had a "right" to charge for
their product.

> I'm not certain that IBM knows how to determine that profitability
> either...;-)

As much as I've seen stated that agrees with you, I really feel the
opposite. I have to believe that there are people within IBM who definetely
know the revenue produced by marketing the iSeries. But I know that IBM may
have reasons for not wanting this to be broad public knowledge. On the one
hand, if IBM's margin is greater than 20% they'd likely face a lot of heat
from customers. On the other hand, if it is low (or projected low), they'd
likely face heat from stockholders.

But I think the biggest point to remember is that the iSeries doesn't only
have to remain profitable, it has to remain more profitable that IBM
selling some other solution to the same customers.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart...
...Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other
commandment greater than these. Mark 12:30-31