Leif, Tom

IANAB (I am not a bean-counter, nor a bean-programmer...;-)

But, IIRC from working in "BigCo", software and hardware are both
depreciated more-or-less the same.  All assets are categorized, depending on
how "hard" the asset is, and they are depreciated along a time-line
depending on that.  I don't recall what the breaks are... 3 years
(doubtful)... 5/10/15/30 years?  There are breaks, that's all I remember.
Land depreciates over the longest term, for example.

I have a vague recollection that hardware depreciates over 5 years, because
I thought that was ridiculous.  (That could easily have changed over the
years, since then, BTW.)  Don't recall if software is in the same category
as hardware, but thinking it might be...

In my business now, I generally fall under some $25,000 exclusion, so most
of what I buy is not depreciated, at all.  I do have, maybe a dozen, assets
that are depreciated.  But, frankly, I've not been interested enough to find
out why they are categorized as assets, instead of expensed.  I could find
out Monday, if it's of great interest to y'all...

HTH

jt