Steve

all true - the question is whether you use interactive CPU or batch CPU -
does the methodology your are talking about require interactive CPU or
batch CPU ? I'd suggest that if the code was executed other than in-line
behind a green screen i.e. using a client-server type architecture, the CPU
question would become less relevent because even the smaller AS/400 have
relatively more CPU available to them.

It's when we have to run everything as part of the gtreen screen app that
the interactive feature really bites us.

Other than that I agree with where you are heading :)

Cheers
Evan Harris