From: "Buck Calabro" <Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net>

> I couldn't get anybody to tell me if my 620 will run WebFaced
> apps OK...

If memory serves me, the 620s use 100 Mhz chips.  That seems to be a far cry
from the 600 Mhz chips they now put in the 820s.

> One glimmer of hope could be Jakarta Tomcat which
> is lighter-weight than WAS.

Maybe time will tell.  I didn't think Tomcat would support Webfacing.  Does
Tomcat support the concept of "sessions"?

> doing Java presentation work on the iSeries will consume
> more cycles than the 5250 "equivalent."

That's pretty clear.  Last I checked, Workstation Gateway used about 8-10
times more CPU than 5250 emulation.  Add JSPs and Java Beans to the mix and
it seems that the CPU requirement would go much higher.  But I have no way
to test it, myself.

> To turn the idea on it's head, try asking if "array-based S/36 displays
are
> a viable long-term development strategy?"

I'm not too familiar with S/36 displays.  But we converted a lot of them to
DDS.  In that sense the S36 displays were a good investment.

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com