Pat:

On Mon, 29 October 2001, Pat Barber wrote:

> Most of the weaker points you bring up are directly related to TCP/IP
> and not DDM.

I suspect that's good because the original poster specified a TCP/IP connection
for DDM.

>  Using a SDLC link requires none of the functions you refer
> to.

Correct. But if you want a secure system, it's not especially easier.

>  I have never see or heard of a DDM client, since DDM has existed
> for at "least" the last 17 years and maybe before that. I first used
> DDM on a pair of S/36's in 1983.

IBM is the only source I've heard say 'DDM client' until recently. In APPC
environments, the terms 'source' and 'target' were used. As TCP/IP and
client/server became pervasive, we also got the 'DDM server' which implies
'client'. Under OS/2, I saw it referred to as a DDM client to AS/400s. From an
exit program point of view, there are clearly client requests sent to the
server.

I can't recall my first use of DDM, though 17 years isn't a bad guess. I know
it wasn't on 1401s when I started with those.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.