Most tier-based pricing strategies are implemented based on the recognition
of revenue based on the POTENTIAL processing power of the machine that the
software is running on.  There can be a very wide range of processor and
interactive CPW capability within a given software tier.  For example, at
the P50 level, the min processor CPW is 3660, interactive CPW is 120, and
number of processors is 8.  The max processor CPW is 20200, interactive CPW
is 20200, and number of processors is 24.

So, I price my software towards the middle of the capacity range and realize
that I may leave a bit on the table on the smaller, low-end machine deals,
but it will be made up on the larger, high-end deals.  As someone has
already said, a simple average cost across the board may be a hindrance, but
an average cost within the tiers is more reasonable (and palatable to the
customer).  Yes, the software is the same, but it is more valuable to a
customer that runs it on a 24-way 840 with 10,000 users than to a customer
that runs it on an 8-way 740 with only 200 users.

I can by little 6hp Poulan push mower to cut my grass for $200.00.  I can
also by a $2,000.00 John Deere riding mower to do the same job.  BUT, the
John Deere has the POTENTIAL of doing a whole lot more, so I pay for it up
front.  If I use the capacity, good for me.  If I don't, then perhaps I
overspent on my hardware and should pay more attention on my next purchase.

This really is a never-ending quagmire, especially since no one seems to
know the exact "formula" behind IBM's logic for hardware price calculation
as it relates to tier and CPW... what ever it is, it most certainly is not a
linear relationship.

Steven Martinson
Product Marketing Manager, iSeries and AS/400
PentaSafe Security Technologies, Inc.
http://www.pentasafe.com
Toll Free: 1.888.400.2834, x9585
Direct Dial: 1.713.860.9585