Ok enough already! If you are willing to run your mission critical
applications on a system that is one ptf away from failure go for it.
IBM will not let this go until it is in their best interest to do so.

Several hundred e-mail messages stating opinion will not move us any
further along!

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not
understand
> --
> >I can't think of any consumer product that you can buy that is
simply a
> >governed version of it's bigger more expensive brother.
> >just imagin if Pc manufacturers did this.
>
> They do.  That's why I can overclock my PIII 866 to 933.  MB
supports
> either, Intel makes chips and stamps 866 on some and 933 on others.
They
> have a number of price points to meet, and choose to simplify
production and
> meet them arbitrarily.  They even lock down some cpu's so they can't
be
> overclocked.  It's my chip, why can't I run it as fast as I want?
>
> I can remember Decision Data line printers that were sold as 300
lpm, that
> had a jumper the salesman told you about that when removed made them
600
> lpm.  Just a two inch piece of wire.
>
> Why is it that I can get my car reprogrammed for more HP and/or
Torque.  Why