Tim:

On Thu, 25 October 2001, "Hatzenbeler, Tim" wrote:

> DDM (my experience level is, never seen it, never used it)  But I think it
> allows you to share a files between box's real time...  If that's the
> case...
>
> What would I need to do on each box, to allow the sharing of a file called
> [timtest] in a library called [devtimh]  both machines are connected via
> tcp/ip
>
> Also, can ddm be used to share the same file on more than two as/400?
> Could I have 12 as/400 writing and sharing the same file between all the
> boxes?

It's extremely easy. You'll create the DDM file as:

 ÝÝ> cfgddmf  file( mylocallib/mylocalDDMFname ) +
              rmtfile( devtimh/timtest ) +
              rmtlocname( remotehostname *IP )

Note that you can use the local host name in place of remotehostname to set up
a test that involves just the local system. And that's about all there is to
it. Except...

First, the AS/400 DDM client does not yet support the sending of
userid/password. Therefore, unless you want the systems essentially wide open,
you'll need to configure the DDM server on the remote system at least to
require passwords, and then use server authentication entries for each user on
the local system who will be using the file(s). Use CHGDDMTCPA to configure the
DDM server and ADDSVRAUTE to add authentication entries. Be aware that server
name is case-sensitive and must be QDDMSERVER on the authentication entries.
Also be aware that only one entry per user per server is allowed; therefore,
the same entry will be referenced no matter how many different remote systems
are accessed. Also be aware that the QRETSVRSEC system value must be set to
'1Ûetain data' on the local system in order to retain the values in these
entries; if the system value is ever changed to '0', the userid/password values
are erased from the entries and must be each changed back to correct val!
ues. And take care with choosing the userid/password for the authentication
entries unless you secure against the SBMRMTCMD command on the remote site or
have strong object authorities in place.

Second, keep in mind that a DDM file is not considered a database file.
Therefore, functions such as Query/400 or SQL will not work. For SQL, you're
better off just setting up RDB directory entries on both systems and CONNECTing
to the remote database. In fact, you'll maybe want to do that in addition to
DDM anyway.

Other than that, it works great.

Tom Liotta

--