We ran into a similar issue that blew this idea up.

We have a non volatile object library in which we store items like
programs, display files, printer files and data files that they shouldn't
change.  Give the users *USE access to objects in that library.  Let's call
this library xxxO.  Then their regular data is stored in another library.
Let's call that one xxxF.  Here they have *ALL.  Granted this is green
screen dependent but let's let that rest for now.  Now would you agree that
the file they are doing a CRTDUPOBJ from should be in xxxO?  Remembering
that it doesn't store any data, it's just there for file layout.  Now when
you do a CRTDUPOBJ it will fail because that stupid command requires more
than *USE authority to the file, even with DUPDTA(*NO).  The workaround was
to save the file from QTEMP into a save file stored in xxxO.  Then when you
want the layout you do a RSTOBJ versus a CRTDUPOBJ.  The beauty of this is
that if you've a bunch of logical files then all related elements can be in
the same save file.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Jim Langston
                    <jlangston@celsinc.       To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    com>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: How to create a
jeyed file without DDS
                    drange.com

                    10/23/2001 11:09 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Denis,

When I did this to my S36 OCLs and converted them to CLP, what I
did was build the file in a data library using DDS with my keys
and everything that was specified in the BLDFILE instruction.

At the point in the OCL where it did the BLDFILE I would do something
like:
CRTDUPOBJ QS36F/AP035TMP QTEMP/AP035TMP DUPDTA(*NO)
although you'll probably have to correct the syntax on that.
In most cases that was all that was needed, if the OCL created and
opened the file using the library list.  If not, I just had to either
change the hard coded library to use the library list, or change it to
QTEMP as appropriate.

HTH,

Regards,

Jim Langston