Re Microsoft: I'm reasonably sure it's Urban Legend at this point.  It's
pretty hard to do business of any sort and not cross paths with the iBox;
Microsoft's downside risk of discovery that they're using iBoxes would be
horrible for them and great for us.  They'll just charge ahead with SAP R/3
on NT...what we don't know is how many Nathan Myrvold clones are required to
keep that baby running.  And you can bet SAP has a banks of offices filled
with very sharp SAP folks, and there are likely a couple of very sharp
Microsoft folks living at SAP.  It's good, smart business for both of them.

If the Microsoft business systems guys had to use generally-available
Microsoft resources, they'd be lining up on the Space Needle for the short
way down.  But I digress: presenting these rumors as fact is unprofessional
and you expose yourself to having to counter vehement Microsoft denials.

What's the application?  What are the perceived NT benefits?  How much will
it cost to get there?  And how much will it cost to keep it going?  If the
AS/400 is doing the job, the client should be looking for cost justification
to replace it.  Any assumption offered for cost justification can be
challenged...and sometimes introducing uncertainty into the decision-making
process is enough to derail a hare-brained plan.

If nothing else, you should get the NT gang to offer the "I-bet-my-job"
commitment in writing on hardware and software costs.  There can be
staggering "hidden" costs in shifting platforms...even if you lose this one,
you may have a great war story the next time you face this situation.

I have a friend in Seattle who faced the same problem.  His client wanted to
be able to download data into spreadsheets and balked at upgrade costs.  So
they went NT...but failed to consider (or disclose the cost of) multiple
licenses (for 30 remote locations), additional servers (one per remote
location), and a requirement for faster lines.  The $65K AS/400 option has
been replaced by a >$200K NT option...and monthly telecom costs are up by
$4K forever.  He knows because he's selling them the PC hardware: he's
making money, but he knows it was a boneheaded move.  Go figure...

This is why you need an MBA, not a BS, to sell the iSeries...it's all about
cost justification.