> But, on the other hand, OS/400 has some advantages too.   The "prompt"
> capability is certainly one of them.   It's unusual that someone is
> familiar with all of the nuances of every command that they need to
> use, yet figuring it out when hitting F4 solves that problem.

-------------------
My last point I promise.

Under the "This is a fun test,  try it at home."

Over the years I have had the following experience with people from other
platforms.   Whether Unix, Winxx, or Mainframes etc.

Having NEVER seen an AS/400,    I explained the verb/Noun/Modifier
construct of OS/400 commands
(ie  DSP,  WRK, CRT, DLT,       PGM, SPLF,  JOBQ,  OUTQ,  USRPF,  F,  etc A
for attributes, D for definition, etc.)

And within  5 minutes (I have done this believe me or try it your self with
someone who never saw one before)
They were able to PREDICT 80% of the commands that a programmer would use
90% of the time on an AS/400  !!!!
While NEVER having seen the machine before.

I ask How would you Display a Program - >  DSPPGM
How would you create an Outq -> CRTOUTQ
How would you display a Jobq  - >  DSPJOBQ
How would you work with a List of Outq's     WRKOUTQ
How would you Create a Program  CRTPGM
how would you delete a File  DLTF
How would you .......

and After showing them GO CMDxxx  with in 34 minutes they could find nearly
every command on the machine, Prompt them,  Know what the parameters were
and read the help.

BTW,  They didn't have to read the help BEFORE using the command,  they
could read those nuances that they didn't know WHILE they were using the
command.

I don't think you could do that experiment with ANY other command set on
any other machine.

Respectfully
Last word
John Carr