On Mon, 15 October 2001, Scott Klement wrote:

>   (you'll have to forgive that, I
> _never_ use PDM... yuck)

I imagine the big use of PDM is not to enter _an_ option against _a_
library/object/member (source members are not the only focus), but instead to
use the list processing capabilities. PDM is an interface to a list of
libraries, objects or members, allowing you to perform actions against elements
in the list. (Further, the list elements are handled as objects; ie., option 5
against a program acts different than against a source member.)

And when you get into user-defined options, the real power becomes more evident.

> But, on the other hand, OS/400 has some advantages too.   The "prompt"
> capability is certainly one of them.   It's unusual that someone is
> familiar with all of the nuances of every command that they need to
> use, yet figuring it out when hitting F4 solves that problem.

An important part of <F4> is the capability of _dynamic_ listing of valid
parameter values (not commonly used by creators of CMDs, but it's there).
Besides, I've learned various *nix command/utility switches at different times
over the years, but it's definitely trouble remembering them a year later.
Seldom have a similar problem under OS/400.

> True.   You could likewise create a program in OS/400 that allowed
> you to display a source member without having to type a long, awkward
> command string.

Heh. Kinda like edtf mysrc.c?

Tom Liotta

--