On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, James Rich wrote:

> Perhaps :)  But maybe the reason we use '5' on the PDM screen to view a
> source member is because the syntax to type in the equivalent command to
> do so is overly cumbersome.  I only say this to have something to think
> about, not to start any kind of useage battle.  In other words, how would
> the user interaction be different if the commands were easier(in my
> opinion)/different(i.e. harder in other peoples opinion) to enter?

I have to admit that I _never_ use PDM.  To me, PDM is awkward as hell,
I always prefer a command line.   However, the syntax to type the equiv
command is _not_ overly cumbersome, IMHO.

just type:

        STRSEU LIB/FILE MEMBER

It's certainly no more work than:

         vi /usr/local/etc/myfile.conf

Granted, the command name is longer, but the lack of complexity in the
pathname still makes it shorter.

Also, you can type STRSEU by itself to bring up the last member that you
changed, which isn't as simple in Unix.

> doskey?  what's that?  I really don't use DOS or windows very much so I am
> unfamiliar with a lot of that stuff.  I do like to think that I know tcsh
> and bash pretty well, though (I *like* to think that - who knows if it is
> really true).

doskey is a program that you can load in your autoexec.bat on DOS or
Windows systems that enables the 'command history' (up arrow) that you
commonly find in shells like tcsh or bash.

However, in every other way, doskey can't compare with tcsh or bash.
It's too bad DOS has such a limited shell... oh well, I guess that's why
Cygwin exists :)