Gee, expect a strong NO from Bob Cozzi.  However, there are tools available
to help you in the running of your AS/400 with a graphical interface.  The
first one which comes to mind in Operations Navigator.  It is my believe
that you do not need a client license to run this, but this may be a
flashback to my college days.  While, yes I do find many of the green
screen commands faster to run, I do find a lot of use for running
Operations Navigator and use it on a daily basis.  There are many subsets
to it.  For instance the basic just has messages, printer output and
printers.  This alone is great and I use this all the time for copying my
spool files to my desktop for further emails.  Don't know how many joblogs
I've sent to IBM using this!  But there are SO many functions available
under the other options that you need the full set.  Just watch your setup
so that you get these other options also.  Going into File Systems is a
good graphical explanation of the IFS.

While Op's Nav has been out awhile it just keeps getting better and better
with each release of OS and each release of Client Access Express.

Outside of Op's Nav there are also tools to convert your 5250 applications
into grey screen applications.  Screen scraper and the like.  There are
couple of schools of thought.  One being Client Server.  The other being
web based.  The latest rage seems to be web based.  This avoids the problem
of having to refresh applications on everyone's desktop.  Some allow some
customization outside of the usual DDS.  For example convert your personnel
application with one of these and then modify the result to display a photo
of the associate.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    "Server Dave"
                    <d2ba@xtra.co.nz>         To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: Which AS/400
models are not supported at V4R5 & V5R1?

                    10/12/2001 01:25 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Is a model 400 still a useful box,Im own a model 500 and dont know what its
good for for
these days--its still at "green screen" V3R7.
Does the V5 OS have  a GUI now?
Thanks in advance
Dave