From: PaulMmn [mailto:PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 11:07 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: IPDS printer setup (was: RE: Level Check on CRTOVL?)

If you don't have an IPDS chip, you -can- print overlays if you use
AFP printing.  You need to define the printer as AFP capable (I don't
remember the exact settings).

AFP uses the AS/400 to create the bit map that is sent to the
printer.  This does work with remote printers, but a lot more
slowly-- the AS/400 ships the entire page bitmap for each page you
print.  That's when you need the IPDS card-- the bitmap for the
overlay is shipped once, then reused with each page of variable data
you print.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.nospam.com