From: rob@dekko.com [mailto:rob@dekko.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 10:42 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Will Upgrading to V4R5 impact performance???

So, as the other gentleman said, if you would have had Windows 3.1 running
on an older PC and upgraded it to Win NT or W2K then you could have
expected about the same results.  A 436 is a teeny weensie box.  IBM has
said that the follow on to V5R1 will not run on some older boxes - like a
40S that we have.

And if you have such a machine you are partially right.  Before you decide
to upgrade OS, maybe you should think about upgrading hardware.  But then
we have a P40 that is:
% CPU used . . . . . . . :        3.0
(Above was a snapshot from DSPSYSSTS at 9:38am our time)
So we are going to upgrade it to a P50.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Basit Khan
                    <Bkhan@medexassist.       To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    com>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: Will
Upgrading to V4R5 impact performance???
                    drange.com

                    10/09/2001 08:12 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I had no performance issues before the upgrade however after I upgraded to
v4r5 it was a disaster - every time we have a single user running query it
will basically stop processing every thing else. We ended up moving to
another box.
I will say if you have an older box and it has no performance issues just
leave it alone - unless you have have a more robust box. We had 436 which
was an old box but it was performing very well with v4r3 - now that we
migrated to 170 and it is working fine with v4r5 ( but it has more DASD and
memory is almost double than older box)

B Khan

What are your measurements, before and after the upgrade?

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Basit Khan
                    <Bkhan@medexassist.       To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    com>                      cc: