I just tested this and here are my results:

With no trace on a development machine (model 270, v5r1), I put a file from
my pc at 544.69Kbytes/sec.
I started a trace and put the file at 2863.66Kbytes/sec.
I stopped and deleted the trace and put the file at 680.74Kbytes/sec.

On our production machine (model 720, v4r4), I first put file with no trace
at 389.10Kbytes/sec.
After starting the trace, I put the file at 1330.83Kbytes/sec.
After ending and deleting the trace, the figure went to 437.43Kbytes/sec.

Seems like this is not just v5r1.

Thanks,
Chris Whisonant

"I started a comm trace on the V5R1 machine to see if I
could see anything in the trace that would account for the slow speed.  As
soon as I started the trace, the transfer rates went to 1400-1800
Kbytes/sec.  When I stop and delete the trace, the rates go back to 55-65
Kbytes/sec.
           This morning I decide to test a PC to V5R1 file transfer.  The
PC is
not on the same switch.  Without an active comm trace, the speed was 310
Kbytes/sec.  With an active trace, the rate was 730 Kbytes/sec.
           This is so bizarre.  It seems as though V5R1 ftp needs an
audience
to perform better.  Is this happening to anyone else?

Guy Murphy"