From: Joe Pluta <joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com>
To: midrange-l@midrange.com <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Date: 03 October 2001 19:00
Subject: RE: Replacing IIS with iSeries 400

>snip (to keep Fiona Happy!)

>Show me the code, man!  Talk is cheap.

Joe, here is a link to the LANSA site where you can look at some code, in
the public domain, for examples,

http://www.lansa.com/tips/index.htm

Also if you want an overview of LANSA for the Web (which is MDC's  forte)
look at

http://www.lansa.com/products/webtechinfo.htm

>> Anyhow, in summary I feel your initial generalization re 4GLs is
>> misguided;
>> obviously I will not be able to change you mind as it's pretty
>> well made up.
>> Looking back at your initial response to Don I'm now struck by
>> how close you
>> product 'promo' is to the early ads. for LANSA for The Web, maybe
>> we're not
>> a million miles apart after all.
>
>Hey, I'll be honest, it's been a long time since I reviewed code generators
>or 4GLs.  If LANSA has a high-level interactive debugger, access to
pointers
>and APIs, a configurable UI generator, and a solid optimizer, and doesn't
>cost an arm and a leg, it may actually be a viable platform for new
>development.  If LANSA further separates business logic from UI, so that I
>can call the business logic separately from anywhere and assign different
>user interfaces to the same program, then it's all good.  (Of course,
>there's still the issue of reverse engineering existing software, but
that's
>another issue for another day.)
>
>Anyway, you say you can do all these things, but you haven't shown us a
line
>of code.  In fact, you sound like a marketing guy, and the worst thing
>possible is to believe your own hype.

Marketing? now you've blown it, I'll never enjoy your debates again
(maybe?), anyhow my background is technical, 360 (DMAS, BOMP, Assembler,
PL/1, RPG, Cobol etc.) S/3, S/7, S/32, S/34, S/36, S/38 & that Silverlake
thingy (& '4GLs'  on Wx & 400), I just recently converted from Hollerith
cards to HTML.

So don't give me marketing.

>Final question: as a LANSA partner, is the mdc.ie website written using
>LANSA?

No, that is just static marketing hype! (no need for transaction processing)
but you have just pointed out a major weakness, i.e. no code examples,
nothing to prove we can do anything, not even using our own content
management tool, ManageIT (in LANSA), shame on us!

Have a look at www.insure.ie and www.firstcalldirect.ie for MDC client sites
in 100% LANSA code.
Select Motor on www.insure.ie and use 'Retrieve Quote' option with Ref. no.
DPMHYL (random no., produced in LANSA, to save you keying in all the
answers) but feel free to change them or request a new quote (beware that
you may not get a quote depending on your replies to our Irish questions).
One of the companies quoting on this site use the MDC rules based rating
engine (in LANSA) running on the same 270 as the site & the other company is
quoting via an industry standard rating engine (Polaris) running on a remote
NT server which we access in real time using 2 way XML generated by LANSA.
There are six companies quoting in test mode right now and some are
producing end user documentation (schedules, policy certificates  etc.,) in
real time (LANSA) with not a line of generated code looked at never mind
saved. If you want to look at sample code I will mail it privately but we
will have to recompile to save it as our standard compile option is NOSAVE.

The more complex site examples we have (which would meet your 2 panel test)
are B2B Extranets  which you can't access & the code is client owned.

Mike.