Peter O'Connor wrote the book, and he REALLY understands save/restore.

I did a real disaster recovery after the WTC fiasco, and I understand that
the story's spelled out in detail in this week's Insider Weekly newsletter,
although mine has yet to arrive.  The biggest obstacle we hit were no DR
plan, and a system at V4R4.  The customer wanted to order hardware that
required V4R5, so I had to find a junker system to do a preliminary
restore.

Customer was back in business last Monday night.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    Larryt222@aol.com
                    Sent by:                  To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       cc:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Disaster Recovery by
the Book after NY

                    10/01/01 10:40 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Considering all the companies that were effected with disasters on Sept.
11.
We started to reexamine our DR plan.  What we had, like most people is a
restore plan and not a DR plan.  What we learned was, in a true disaster
our
company really needs a true disaster recovery plan not just a restore plan.
We look around at the methods to develop such a plan.   There is not much
out
on the market to help develop a true plan.  The IBM Backup and Recovery
Guide
was just a blue print on how to put  together a restore plan.  Top
management
insisted that we put together a true DR plan.

After much searching, we discovered that Prestige, PO Box 659, Wolfeboro
Falls, NH 03896 has a book designed for the 400 and for a true DR plan.
In
my mind it was the best $54.00 investment that we have made in a while.
While it did not answer a 100% of over questions, it put us on the correct
path to having a functional Disaster Recovery Plan and NOT just a restore
plan.  We are still working on the plan and by doing so, management is much
happier.

I do not know how many companies out there believe that their DR plan is
more
than a restore plan but the events in NY made us think.

Larry T.